Go Back   Zmods.org Forums > General Discussion > General Z Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
M4LFUNCT10N

Writeup Question...

sdb300zx pointed me here. Anyway, the first thing I looked at were the Writeup's listed here. Immediately I saw flaws, or at least things that appear incorrect or suggest procedures that are unnecessary. So, my question is how are the Writeups "voted" or tested?

First thing I noticed, was the procedure for the antenna mod. It suggests bridging the two antenna's, which immediately screw the reception up. The proper method, is to disconnect the antenna power signal from the head unit, then unplug the mast antenna's main wire from the 2 pronged antenna adapter, and finally, rotate the 2 pronged antenna connector 180*, so that when plugged in, the two prongs are switched. No splicing of wires, etc. The aftermarket radio will no leave the stock antenna down(or you could shave it), and it will use the hatch glass antenna.

Second issue, was the writeup for the E-fan constant on. For one, there is no specification as to which wire to tap into on the Rad Fan Relay. First thing that comes to mind, this relay supplies power to the AC fan, which only turns on when the AC is on, or when the temperature gets too hot(it acts as an accessory fan for cooling). So depending on the wire used, you may not get the constant on that you intended. A much easier way is to tap into the "Engine Control" 10A fuse in the same location. This fuse has a signal whenever the key is in the ON position.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm coming here to bash, I just found it odd that the first 2 writeups I read, seemed to have some big issues. I haven't even looked at the rest.

Logan
Offline:   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
ZMANZ32TT
Super Moderator Yo!

Car Specs: 1991 Z32 TT, 1991 Z32 NA, 1978 280Z
My Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZMANZ32TT
Re: Writeup Question...

The write ups are all submitted to Chris (TC) he decides what is posted as a Tech write-up, That isnt to say that each write up is necessarily the best way or the right way to do it, u are more than welcome to submit your own tech write-up, new and better ways are discovered all the time to do mods, replacements, builds, etc. So feel free to do a detailed write up on any of your installs or mods, submit them to chris, or even if u have a correction for a current write up just let Chris know, he will take care of it.

Thanks

ZMODs Admin/Mods
Old 05-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
M4LFUNCT10N

Sounds good. Next time I'm in there, I'll take some pictures and make it a little more apparent what to do. And I like that there *is* a response here. I tried to contact the admin for TTZD to have them update their shifter bushing replacement with some much needed information, but the email bounced back.

On a side note, I'll be taking pictures this weekend when I drop my transmision to replace the Striking Rod(shift linkage). That will definately be a nice writeup. I might be replacing the driver side turbo while I'm at it, all with the engine in.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
ZMANZ32TT
Super Moderator Yo!

Car Specs: 1991 Z32 TT, 1991 Z32 NA, 1978 280Z
My Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZMANZ32TT

good luck man, and definately go all out with your write-ups. Welcome and enjoy ZMODs