PDA

View Full Version : NZR -- Another first......

canyoncarver
05-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Junior #2 broke his laptop.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/822000-822999/822738_84_full.jpg

So I figured I'd dig into it and see if I could save him $150.

We actually bought a 2-year extended warranty on it, but when he took it into best buy for warranty repairs, he told them he dropped it and damaged it. I thought to myself "you told them WHAT?!?!?!?". I guess I did teach him to be honest, and he was. Needless to say, they wouldn't cover it under the warranty, and I kinda laughed at the guy on the phone when he said it'd cost $150 to fix.

Anyways, after taking it down to (almost) it's most finite component, I resoldered the jack for the power cord back onto the mother board. Got it all back together and it work great....... so far.

I was curious for anyone that might know. The thought entered my mind to JB Weld that thing to the motherboard.. Not knowing if JB Weld is conductive, I was thinking if it was, there'd be no undoing it and the m/b would be trash. Does anybody know if JB Weld would have messed it up?

EDIT: oooops, sorry, wrong section.

erfoster
05-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Why not just put a small strip of JB Weld on something else (scrap board or the like) and use a meter to see if it conducts?

If all else fails though, just remember-- if you cant duct it, f*ck it.

JBender
05-11-2006, 12:25 AM
JB Weld isn't conductive, but you'd want to make sure it didn't get between the contacts and the board, otherwise you'd have no connection.

Also, um...the motherboard is lying on the carpet there. Big no-no in terms of static electricity damage. It's usually a toss-up if any ICs are damaged when stuff is left out like that, but in the future you'll want to look into some ESD safety precautions if you're poking around that. I'm sure you already know that, just the EET in me :)

diflictedminds
05-11-2006, 01:00 AM
DO NOT touch any capacitors with anything that has a charge lol....otherwise *psht* capacitor = dead